Baobab Oil - Adansonia digitata
Botanical name: Adansonia digitata
Part used: Dried seeds
Method: cold pressed
Colour: golden yellow.
Consistency: medium to thin
Aroma: mild earthy smell
- The Baobab is probably the iconic African tree, it is the only one of a species, also known as the upside down tree due to it's branches looking more like roots!
- The oil that is extracted from the seeds contains mono, polyunsaturated and saturated fats in almost equal quantities, which is unusual for a plant derived oil.
- As it also contains high levels of EFA's it makes it a wonderfully nourishing and moisturizing oil for the skin. It is rejuvenating, healing, has anti oxidant and anti inflammatory effects.
- Used for massage it is absorbed quickly, leaving the skin feeling silky and smooth.
- Baobab does not clog the pores, so can be used as part of your daily skin care regime.
- Due to the high levels of EFA's it is great for mature skins, helping to restore elasticity and diminish fine lines.
As a hair treatment it is particularly good for curly, dry, unruly hair as the mono saturated fat can penetrate the cuticle. It can be used as a hot oil treatment, with Almond oil, or on it's own as a comb through leave-in conditioner after washing and drying hair.
As well as the Saturated fats, Baobab oil contains some rare fatty acids, some which are: Oleic acid, Palmitic acid, Linoliec acid, various Sterols and vitamins A,D and E, and the Omegas
There are no known contra indications, but this oil is not for ingestion.